Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sneaky, Sneaky



This was fun. One of the things I love about Magic cards is that they are self-contained narrative. Really good ones are those that unite story with mechanics and flavour text fluidly. It is the same with any illustration. Magic cards, however, are little pocket-sized art pieces that you can store in great numbers in boxes smaller than an art book. Granted, the art is best seen in larger form in a book, or, even better, in person.

Even if I didn't like playing Magic so much, I would still collect the cards for the easily accessible art they contain. I do not care about their material value and often buy them solely for the artwork (and will use them in decks, even if they are not very effective, just so I can look at them while I play and because I like the ambiance they bring to my playing experience). I have a stack of cards I keep just for the art, separate from the cards I play with, that I look at every now and again for inspiration.

The card game aside, I like to think about my own images in ways that tell stories well. 'Show, don't tell', rings in my ears frequently. I hope you all enjoy this image. It made me laugh when I was done and sparked another exploration I will share with you in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment